UIC Undergraduate Research Experience
The Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) is a university-wide program dedicated to fostering scholarly engagement and intellectual growth. The URE mission is to make research an integral part of the undergraduate academic experience at UIC by creating mutually beneficial research relationships between students and faculty researchers.
Benefits for students:
- Gain valuable research skills and relevant experience
- Develop professional relationships with faculty members and other researchers
- Earn credit hours within or outside of the major
Benefits for faculty members and other researchers:
- Receive research assistance from talented, motivated undergraduates
- Get to know and mentor individual students
- Provide valuable research training for the next generation of researchers
The URE initiative is administered in the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs. It was initiated by the former VPUA, Dr. Lon Kaufman, working in partnership with Yachana Kataria, who was then the Chairperson of the Academic Affairs Committee of Undergraduate Student Government.